Policies for Reserving Rooms at the Detroit Center
- The meeting room, exhibit space, studio, project room and offices in the Detroit Center are available to University of Michigan departments, non-profit and other external organizations for events, meetings, conferences, workshops, etc. The Detroit Center partners have priority scheduling over all spaces, however, non-partners may utilize this space for a modest fee.
- Logistics detailing your meeting and or event should be ascertained during the initial reservation. Name, date, time, contact information and type of accommodations required, should be completed utilizing the Detroit Center Reservation Request Form.
- A walk through of the Center should be scheduled with the Project Coordinator, who will review logistics, and if applicable, payment requirements.
- The user is expected to leave the Center in good condition for the next user, including clearing away all debris, dishes, containers, and leftovers. A determination will be made by the Detroit Center’s facilities staff of the need for cleanup beyond what is normally provided.
- A fee of $25 per hour will be charged for any additional cleanup. All hourly charged events will be charged an extra hour for setup and cleanup. No open flames are permitted. Serving of alcohol by University-sponsored groups is governed by the University of Michigan’s policy.
- Requests must be made at least 48 hours prior to intended start time
- Please note that University units may book a reservation up to 1 year in advance. Student and alumni organizations can book up to six months in advance, while non-profit and commercial organizations can only book up to three months in advance.
- The Detroit Center Administration is responsible for coordinating the use of the center. Requests for space reservations must be submitted through our room request online form
- Staff/Faculty/Organizations are reserved in the order in which requests are received, with consideration given to the size of the group, type of program and available space. Management reserves the right to assign and if necessary, reassign meetings to assure the most efficient and appropriate utilization of the center.
- Food service required for events must be made through approved caterers (see Food Service).
- Additional fees will be charged for special room setups, teardowns, resetting of rooms special cleaning or other additional services during an event.
- Willful or careless damage to the centers’ property or equipment shall necessitate a replacement and/or repair charge to the responsible group.
- Rooms can only be reserved one week before a major event is to take place for set-up and decoration. All decorations must be removed by the conclusion of the contracted time.
- The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, including the Detroit Center, is a smoke free environment.
- All groups will abide with all published University and Detroit Center policies, regulations, guidelines and all local, state and federal laws.
- A responsible representative of the group must remain in the center until the event is completed. This includes staying on the site until all participants and/or vendors have left the building (i.e., entertainment, photographers, etc).
- If you wish to book a room outside of business hours, please submit a room request. Once submitted, the facilities coordinator will contact you regarding use of the room.
- There are additional services that the Detroit Center offers with an additional fee. These services and the fees are listed below. If you require any additional services, please let the Detroit Center staff know and we will do our best to accommodate the request.
- Catering Support- $50
- 25 plates
- 25 cups
- 25 spoons
- 25 forks
- 25 knives
- 25 napkins
- 25 resealable bags
- Administrative Support- $25
- Sorting and organizing paperwork
- Personnel copying/printing
- Hole punching
- Other paperwork
- Catering Support- $50
- Groups charging for event participation are not eligible for complimentary space usage, at any time.
- Unless approved by Center management, room cannot be booked for anything less than 50% of room capacity.
- With the exception of those paying a fee for room use, if 50% of projected capacity is not met more than once, the group will be charged $50 regardless of status.
- U-M units failing to cancel a room within 72 hours of its assigned date more than once in an academic year will be charged a $100 cancellation fee. Note: Groups are not subject to cancellation fees if the activity is cancelled due to severe weather conditions, an emergency leading to the closure of the Center, or the illness of the instructor or event coordinator.
- If a group has no shown up within the first 30 minutes of their event and there has been no contact made, the booking will be cancelled, and made available for others to book said room.
- Damage to Center property by any group must be paid by that group within 10 business days of receipt of bill for damages.
- Center may not be booked or used again until all outstanding bills are paid.
The University of Michigan Detroit Center accepts the following forms of payment:
- Checks (personal and/or handwritten checks must be accompanied by a copy of a valid driver’s license)
- Money Orders
- Cash is not accepted as a form of payment.
- Returned checks are subject to additional fees.
Check Return Policy
The University of Michigan Detroit Center (UMDC) will accept checks from individuals and organizations under the following circumstances:
- If a check is handwritten, a valid driver’s license with a photo ID must be presented. The driver’s license number will be recorded on the check if not already present on the check face, along with a copy of the driver’s license (once check is cleared, a photocopy is destroyed).
- In the event the person does not have a valid license, a photo ID with the address must be presented.
If a check is returned to the UMDC as a result of non-sufficient funds:
- Effective immediately the person and/or organization responsible for payment will not be eligible for room reservations at UMDC until payment issue is rectified.
- All repaid funds must be paid with a money order, certified bank check or credit card and must include a $50 returned check fee.
Once a check is returned, we do not accept a check from the individual or organization again. Staff is mandated to check the Returned Check List before accepting a personal or organization check.
- Once all funds are repaid, eligibility for room reservation is resumed
The following procedure outlines the process that this department must follow in order to recover the amount of the returned check and the $50 returned check fee, as well as providing documentation of due diligence in their collection efforts. When a returned check is received:
- The administrative assistant is notified by Finance Operations.
- The Admin Assistant notifies the Facilities Coordinator, who then emails the client copying both the AA and the Director.
- The email notification will provide instructions as to the date which payment must be made, and the form of payment that will be accepted to clear the debt with the University.
An additional notice will be provided via a telephone call to the phone number(s) on record, as follow up.